Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Curse -- A Good Friday Sonnet


A rare post by the husband . . .
So it's a day late, but I thought some might be blessed to receive this on Holy Saturday nonetheless. The idea--and then the sonnet--came to me several years back when I was having a bad attitude during a junior high chapel (during Passion Week). While the speaker was typically going through the litany of Christ's physical sufferings (trying to evoke pity and conversion from junior high kids), God rebuked me with a revelation of the meaning of Christ's crown of thorns. Why "thorns," I thought. The answer lies in "the curse" of Genesis 3 when, after Adam sinned, God cursed the dust of the earth with thorns and thistles. The crown of thorns is symbolic--a very painful one--of Christ bearing the curse for us. The irony of this is how Roman soldiers, in an effort to mock Christ as a sham-Jewish king, basically apply the hidden theology of Genesis by adorning Him with a sham--but supremely meaningful--crown. It's amazing--yet not really--what God, the Author of history, can do through even pagan actors to accomplish His purposes in the world. Blessings to you all this Holy Saturday and have an even greater blessed Resurrection Day tomorrow . . . the day of our dear Beniam's baptism!

--The Curse--

The Curse: Word thunders forth from lips divine
As things both seen and not are hemorrhaging.
Milk-white--dark blood once hot, can't bear the sign--
First-flesh, ashamed, stands stark now trembling.
The Man--delight now drained, our race's head,
His head hung down, drooped in defeated pain--
Now scours the earth, "This thorny curse I dread."
(The ground, thorn-crowned) "Can curse become my gain?"
This question cast a shadow years in length.
It's thund'ring answer: thorns upon high hill.
The tree: it bears the Sign now lacking strength.
Strong Weakness says, "My will . . . to do Your will."
Edenic curse, circumferencing our Head,
The Word: our Curse, He suffers in our stead.
_________________________________________
Genesis 3:17b-18a
Galatians 3:13a
Matthew 27:29a

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, son. So many hidden gems yet for us to mine . . . He is Risen indeed!

Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, sonneteer. And nice chiasm.

- Devin

Lacey said...

I didn't know that the little man was being baptised today. Much love to you all on this Easter Sunday and give him loving and adoring kisses to Beniam on his special day.

Love,
(Aunt) Lacey

Eric said...

Wow, Chris, awesome poem - that's amazing. So glad you could adopt!

-Eric O.

MedLib25 said...

Chris,
Happy Easter!
Thank you for sharing this sonnet. I enjoy reading it very much and I know that it is a good sonnet beacuse I get more out of it each time I read it. I'll print this out and share it with my Dad. Tell the all the fam I said Hi!
James D.